Awarding scholarships is one of the major community projects of the American Bridge Association. The number of scholarships awarded is currently three (3) for each of the eight sections, $1000.00 per recipient. The Scholarship Program is funded through proceeds from the Nationwide Scholarship Game, scholarship games sponsored by Sections/Units/Clubs and other funds from the ABA Educational and Charitable Foundation, Inc. The Scholarship Committee is composed of a chairperson and two (2) members from each section. Every attempt should be made to maintain continuity on this committee.
1) Secures a supply of needed scholarship forms.
2) Distributes forms to the SVP.
3) Receives completed forms from Section Scholarship Chairs.
4) Attests to the acceptability of the recommended candidates’ forms.
5) Submits all accepted requests to the abaECF Board of Directors.
6) Reports recommendations of the National Scholarship Committee to the Board of Directors of the abaECF and requests that scholarship stipends be paid.
7) Receives a response to the National Scholarship Committee’s report from the abaECF Board of Directors.
8) Publishes information about the Scholarship Program in the ABA BULLETIN.
9) Indicates time, due dates, amount of stipends and procedural information to the SVP.
10) Answers questions that might be raised concerning ABA Scholarships.
11) Furnishes “Follow-up” information to the committee concerning past scholarship recipients.